Monday, April 02, 2012

A Writer Describes His Heart Transplant

A remarkable first-hand account of getting a heart transplant:
These days, it feels like my life is a tale of two ends of the emotional spectrum. There are days when I am so elated and full of exuberance that it would rival Mary Poppins. Other days are melancholy, which fills me with guilt. As much as I tell myself I have absolutely no right to feel anything but happy and grateful for the rest of my life, I occasionally feel sad and angry.

But I have come to realize that feeling bad at times is OK. After all, it's all a part of life.

I can't seem to quell my desire to make up for lost time. Thanks to the selfless act of an organ donor I will never meet, I now have the time to learn how to savor every second of the rest of my life.
-Wes

No comments: